Friday, December 4

An Act of Mercy

This morning I was watching the news and one story in particular really caught my eye.

It began by showing a convince store robbery, which occurred last winter. The robber held a gun to the cashier/ store owner, then surprisingly the cashier comes around the counter with a big shot gun, and points it right at the robber. Instead of running, the thief falls to his knees and puts his hands together as if he were praying. There was no sound on the video but the convenience store owner starts to narrate, saying that the man began to cry and begged him not to shoot, saying that his family was desperate and hungry. Slowly the owner lowers the gun, pulls $40 out of his pocket, and hands it to the would-be robber along with a loaf of bread; making him promise that he will never steal again.

I didn’t think this would end well, I expected to hear the thief was arrested. In fact when I tried to search online for the news report, all my searches brought up stories about either the robber or the victims being shot and killed.

However, this winter the convince store owner received an anonymous letter. The letter was from someone who simply thanked the owner, saying that he had a steady job and was able to provide for his family. “Thank you for saving my life.” Folded in side was a 50 dollar bill.

The more I thought about this story the more touched I was.

If the store owner had scared him away, he probably would have tried to rob someone else.

If had shot him the news would have reported on it, and viewers would have thought ‘well, he shouldn't have been trying to steal.’

If the store owner had pressed charges, the robber would have gone to jail. How could he take care of his family from inside prison?

My heart is so full when I think of how merciful that man was. The store owner was truly a type of Christ.

5 comments:

Emily B said...

This is a great story for Christmas. You for sure have to come with me next summer. We also talked about Ashley coming down here instead. I know people down here would love to see her. We'll iron out the details when it gets closer.

Sara B said...

thanks for sharing such a great story.

Wendy said...

When I hear stories like these I try to imagine what I would do in that situation; I don't think I would have done what the store owner did. He showed so much compassion for that man and his family, and he had no proof the man was being honest with him. That's a great example. Thanks for sharing the story.

Hope things are looking up for you. Miss you.

The Smith Family said...

I think that is a great story. I got teary eyed! I miss you. Hope your doing well. Merry Christmas!

The Nebeker Six Pack said...

ok, thanks for the tears...thanks for sharing.